Maine Association of Sea Kayak Guides and Instructors
MASKGI is a non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to raising professional standards for those guiding and teaching sea kayaking and stand up paddle boarding on the coast of Maine. Our membership of sea kayak and stand up paddle board outfitters, guides, and instructors embrace the highest professional business practices and conduct. We work closely with Federal, state, and local agencies and like-minded organizations to improve the safety of the paddling industry.
Professional Code of Ethics
It is the founding principles of MASKGI and its members:
- To preserve the natural resources and free enterprise system upon which we are dependent;
- To protect the safety of the paddling public and our employees by providing safe high quality services, equipment and facilities; and
- To promote education in sea kayaking safety and paddling skills as well as professionalism of the sea kayaking industry.
Each member by fact of their voluntary association in MASKGI agrees to abide by these precepts:
- Maintain and operate safe facilities, vehicles, kayaks, and equipment which comply with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Provide for the proper skills development, safety training and outfitting of guests, employed guides, instructors and other company personnel.
- Maintain adequate liability insurance.
- Practice the highest ethical business standards by speaking favorably of others, abiding by contractual agreements, and promoting sea kayaking for the general good of the industry.
- Avoid engaging in predatory pricing practices and speaking negatively of others for the purpose of damaging the businesses and reputations of industry members.