MASKGI is a non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to raising professional standards for those guiding and teaching sea kayaking and stand up paddle boarding on the coast of Maine. In accordance with our mission, we offer programs for guides, instructors, and the sea kayaking public.
DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, MANY PROGRAMS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED OR POSTPONED. PLEASE CHECK WITH THE PROGRAM ORGANIZER FOR THE MOST RECENT UPDATES.
Maine Sea Kayak Guide Training
Photo credit: Portland Paddle
Alice's Awesome Adventures, Brunswick 207-729-6333
- Customized Registered Maine Guide Training - Call for details.
Castine Kayak Adventures, Castine 207-866-3506
2020 Spring Training Session: Comprehensive 65 hour hands-on course!
Dates & Locations:
May 15-17, Fri-Sun 9-5: Rescue Skills, On-water Skills, Navigation Intensive. Castine, Maine.
May 18 & 19, Camping weekend practical: real life skills-training on the water. Downeast Maine.
May 30: SOLO on-water Medical Scenarios.
May 31: Testing Review, Mock Orals.
Price: $565 (REGISTER at castinekayak.com)
- Registered Maine Sea Kayak Guide Preparation Course - Course meeting days and times: Friday April 17, 2020 5:00pm-9:00pm, Saturday April 18, 2020 9:00-5:00, Sunday April 19, 2020 9:00-5:00, Friday April 24, 2020 5:00pm-9:00pm, Saturday April 25, 2020 9:00-5:00, Sunday April 26, 2020 9:00-5:00.
Maine Kayak, New Harbor 207-677-3455
- Sea Kayaking Guide Course - May 8-10 and 15-17, 2020.
Portland Paddle, Portland 207-370-9730
- Maine Sea Kayak Guide Training - May 2-3 and 9-10, 2020. 8:00-5:15 each day.
Wilderness First Aid Afloat
Co-sponsored by MASKGI and MITA
This SOLO Wilderness First Aid Afloat (WFAA) is being jointly sponsored MASKGI and Maine Island Trail Association (MITA) for their members and is specifically targeting participants engaged in paddling and boating sports. There will be a mix of classroom sessions, practice sessions and outdoor scenarios in this course.
The WFAA course contains the same information included in the SOLO Wilderness First Aid course, including response and assessment, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental emergencies, survival skills, soft tissue injuries, and medical emergencies. In addition, topics that are of specific interest to watersport enthusiasts are included, such as sea sickness, marine bites and stings, and types of injuries that are more common in marine environments. Also, topics, like sending for help, have been adapted to be more applicable to situations that might arise on the water and in a water-based environment.
When: Saturday and Sunday, 25 and 26 April 2020, from 0800 to 1600 on each day
Where: Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve, 342 Laudholm Farms Road, Wells, ME 04090, (207) 646-1555
What: Course includes: materials for practice scenarios, snacks, hot drinks, WFAA book, WFAA map, 2-year certification and instruction.
Registration and Cost: $150/person (MASKGI members receive a discount of $35). To register please contact Nancy Zane at to receive a coupon code and registration link. MASKGI members get the special subsidized rate of $150.00.
Nancy Zane, Founder, North Star Adventures
- 25 years’ experience of working, teaching, and guiding in outdoor and remote environments
- Wilderness EMT
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
- Maine Recreational Guide
- Maine Sea Kayak Guide
- American Heart Association, First Aid & CPR Instructor
- National Registry EMT-B
- Registration and Cost
- Anatomy of a Wilderness Crisis
- Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System
- Backcountry Essentials
- Cold-Related Injuries
- Environmental Emergencies and Survival Skills (including lightning)
- Heat-Related Injuries
- Medical Emergencies and Critical Care
- Patient Assessment System
- Patient Lifting and Moving
- Principles of Fracture Care
- Rescue Plan
- Response and Assessment
- Soft Tissue Injuries and Medical Emergencies
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Sprains and Strains
- The Human Animal
- Trauma-Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Trauma-Soft Tissue Injuries
- Universal Precaution
- Use of Epinephrine
- What is Wilderness First Aid?
Notification of Enrollment
Enrollment is limited, so register early to guarantee a spot.
North Star Adventures LLC has a calendar of other Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder courses up for the off season (November to May) with discounts for guides!
"On Water Medical Scenarios & Emergency Management" is among the offerings particularly suited to sea kayak guides, and is scheduled for May 23, 2020.
LLBean is offering Wilderness First-Aid and Instructor Certification Courses. Information can be found here.
Portland Paddle is offering ACA Level 2 SUP Instructor Certification Workshop. Information found here.
John Huth's online course with Harvard University:
Learn to forecast the weather just by looking out your window.
What you'll learn:
- The role of air, water, and wind in weather systems.
- How to estimate local wind speed and direction.
- How to avoid being struck by lightning.
- How to identify cloud types and features.
- How to describe the attributes of thunderstorms and tornadoes.
- How to collect and interpret data and observations to predict the next day’s weather.