Co-sponsored by MASKGI and MITA
When: Saturday and Sunday, 25 and 26 April 2020, from 0800 to 1600 on each day
Where: Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve, 342 Laudholm Farms Road, Wells, ME 04090, (207) 646-1555
What: Course includes: materials for practice scenarios, snacks, hot drinks, WFAA book, WFAA map, 2-year certification and instruction.
Registration and Cost: $150/person (MASKGI members receive a discount of $35). To register please contact Nancy Zane at to receive a coupon code and registration link. MASKGI members get the special subsidized rate of $150.00.
This SOLO Wilderness First Aid Afloat (WFAA) is being jointly sponsored MASKGI and Maine Island Trail Association (MITA) for their members and is specifically targeting participants engaged in paddling and boating sports. There will be a mix of classroom sessions, practice sessions and outdoor scenarios in this course.
The WFAA course contains the same information included in the SOLO Wilderness First Aid course, including response and assessment, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental emergencies, survival skills, soft tissue injuries, and medical emergencies. In addition, topics that are of specific interest to watersport enthusiasts are included, such as sea sickness, marine bites and stings, and types of injuries that are more common in marine environments. Also, topics, like sending for help, have been adapted to be more applicable to situations that might arise on the water and in a water-based environment.
- Anatomy of a Wilderness Crisis
- Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System
- Backcountry Essentials
- Cold-Related Injuries
- Environmental Emergencies and Survival Skills (including lightning)
- Heat-Related Injuries
- Medical Emergencies and Critical Care
- Patient Assessment System
- Patient Lifting and Moving
- Principles of Fracture Care
- Rescue Plan
- Response and Assessment
- Soft Tissue Injuries and Medical Emergencies
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Sprains and Strains
- The Human Animal
- Trauma-Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Trauma-Soft Tissue Injuries
- Universal Precaution
- Use of Epinephrine
- What is Wilderness First Aid?
Nancy Zane, Founder, North Star Adventures
- 25 years’ experience of working, teaching, and guiding in outdoor and remote environments
- Wilderness EMT
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
- Maine Recreational Guide
- Maine Sea Kayak Guide
- American Heart Association, First Aid & CPR Instructor
- National Registry EMT-B
Notification of Enrollment
Enrollment is limited, so register early to guarantee a spot.